Thursday, September 26, 2013

I Have a Groomzilla.

Growing up, I was pretty tomboyish.  That has changed, but as a child I used to quote this movie called "Polly" starring Keisha Knight-Pulliam and Phylicia Rashad.  In the movie, Polly says, "I can run faster and spit farther than any boy ever born."  That sounded really good at the time.

One of the reasons I love my fiancee so much is that he is not like most guys. He truly has an artistic soul.  He can't talk to you about sports at all, except for if he watches a Mizzou game here or there (for those of you who aren't from the Midwest, Mizzou is a nickname for the University of Missouri-Columbia).  He is very neat.  He likes to lift weights, paint, watch foreign films, go to restaurants.  He is an amazing listener, unlike most guys.  He will remember every detail of a conversation with you better than you can.  Don't even think about trying the old "I didn't say that."  He will play the dialogue back for you verbatim.

I had to say some good things before I go OFF on how crazy he has made me over these wedding venues.  Most guys think of weddings as the "bride's day" and don't really have a lot of demands.  Of course, not my guy.  Here is a short list (not at ALL exhaustive) of things he has vetoed:

1) Destination Weddings
2) A reasonably sized guest list
3) Soul food at the reception
4) An estate wedding
5) Aluminum foil (he thinks it's hood)

The things I love so much about him are proving to be pretty disheartening, to say the least. The few things I did dream of include having a DIY estate wedding.  I thought I could trick him into having a destination wedding by suggesting the Lake of The Ozarks.  My thought was I would rent a mansion and our whole wedding party could stay with us.  We'd have an outdoor wedding and a casual reception with an indefinite end time.  Sounds fantastic to me.  Not to him.  A short list of complaints:

1) The Lake of the Ozarks is actually a destination (duh)
2) People cannot fly there.
3) It is 2 1/2 hours from Saint Louis.
4) Everyone may not want to stay with us
5) Everyone doesn't like the Lake of the Ozarks.

Check out this GORGEOUS spot we visted while up there.  Behold, the Old Kinderhook Castle:






On the way up there, he decided against the whole idea.  We shopped around in the Outlet Mall and came back home after one hell of a verbal joust.  Back to the drawing board.  I'm bound to Saint Louis.  I tried to get away.  So much for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment